The origins of Telecommunications studies in Spain go back to a Royal Decree signed in 1913 through which the Escuela General de Telegrafía was founded. It was made up of three sections at different levels, one of which was dedicated to Higher Studies. Another Royal Decree signed in 1920 created the Qualification of Telecommunications Engineer, which initially was only available to Officials from the Cuerpo de Telégrafos, after four years of study for their civil service entrance exams.
The increasing demand for qualifications brought about the later modification of the access system, and from 1935, anyone who wanted to take the courses was free to attend. From its earliest times, the School has trained and graduated professionals in engineering qualifications for the functions required to meet the incessant demands in telecommunications as well as its associated electronic techniques.
In 1957 the School, along with the rest of the Engineering Schools, became accountable to the Ministry of Education, and became known by its current name, Escuela Técnica Superior de Ingenieros de Telecomunicación, and in 1965 it moved from its old location in calle Conde de Peñalver, to its current site in the Ciudad Universitaria.