Brief description of the technology solution and the added value it provides
Researchers from the Technical University of Madrid (UPM) have developed a board that solves the encounter between slabs and walls, designed to prevent the stress transmission between such components, essentially due to slabs’ deformations. This solution, valid for walls and floors of every kind and nature, will allow to visually detect the correct positioning of the joint between the wall and the upper slab. In addition, it prevents the appearance of fissures and cracks in walls due to excessive deflection of slabs.
Description of the technological base
The solution consists of a device designed to solve the joint that occurs in the encounter between the walls and slabs in buildings. The system proposed does not allow transmitting the slab deformation to the interior walls. This joint is placed during the wall construction, in its encounter with the top slab.
It is a prefabricated element easy to carry and handle.
“Our solution will reduce the transmission of forces between the slabs and interior walls, both in new construction and renovation”
- Concern in the construction sector due to the deformation of increasingly flexible structural elements.
- In recent years, over 30% of building slabs have led to excessive deformation problems (Cercha nº 73/2004)
- The main claim to building insurance companies refers to interior walls damage (Cercha nº 73/2004)
“The solution developed avoids the appearance of cracks and fissures in walls due to excessive deflection of slabs”
- Valid for both new construction and renovation.
- Effective for walls and slabs of every kind and nature.
- Prefabricated element, easy to carry and handle.
- Avoids transmitting vertical loads from slabs to walls, preventing damage to the latter.
- Enables to visually check the correct construction of the wall.
- Allows to visually detect, during construction, the correct positioning of the joint between the wall and the upper slab. It decreases the risk of future problems and associated costs.
- Avoids the appearance of fissures and cracks in walls due to excessive deflection of slabs, resulting in cost savings.
- Avoids force transmission to the partition of indoor plants.
- Allows creating a joint between a deformed slab when renovating.
- Extensive research activities and collaboration with industry.
- Research group oriented to technological innovation and implementation of patents.
- Patent granted in Spain ES2398273
- Industrial Prototype
Contacto solución tecnológica
Tomás Gil; e:
Fidel Carrasco; e:
Amparo Verdú; e:
Área de Innovación, Comercialización y Creación de Empresas
Centro de Apoyo a la Innovación Tecnológica – UPM