Other analytical determinations for other matrices
By using different equipment and techniques, it is possible to quantify the total Carbon in solid samples (0.5 – 1 g) and liquid samples (soil extracts, water and leachates), as well as various types of Nitrogen in solid (total) or liquid (nitrate, ammonia or combined total) samples in soil extracts, water and leachates.
Description of the services offered
Determinations in soil extracts, water and leachates:
- Determining NO3
+ using Flow Injection spectroscopy (Keeney and Nelson, 1982)
- Determining total organic and inorganic carbon (TOC) (IR Detector)
- Determining total combined nitrogen (TNb) (Chemiluminescence Detector)
Determining soil, substrate, plant and food solid macrosamples:
- Determining Carbon (IR Detector)
- Determining total Nitrogen (Thermal Conductivity Detector) using the Dumas method.
- Determining total nitrogen (Kjeldhal method or Dumas method)
- Determining total phosphorus (Gravimetry) or assimilable phosphorus (Olsen method)
- Determining Potassium, Calcium and Magnesium content.
- Determining micro-nutrients: Iron, Manganese, Copper and Zinc.
Needs requested and applications
Green space managers and maintainers (gardens, golf courses and other sports spaces) and other people or companies doing sustainable land management.
Sector or area of application
Where it is
The laboratories are on the first floor of Edificio Agrícolas at the Higher Technical School for Agronomy, Food and Biosystems Engineering.
To analyse the nitrate content in soil extracts, water and leachates, a Futura model segmented flow analyser made by Alliance is available, while for determining the ammonium ion content there is a Perkin-Elmer FIAS-400 Flow injection Spectrophotometer, along with a Perkin-Elmer Lambda 25 spectrophotometer.
Analytik Jena Multi CN 3100 instrumentation is used to determine the total Carbon (TOC) and combined total Nitrogen (TNb) in soil extracts.
Leco Trumac CN instrumentation is used to determine the total Carbon and total Nitrogen in soil macrosamples.