Brief description of the technology solution and the added value it provides
Component resolved-diagnosis: low cost, high efficiency
Over 150 million people in Europe suffer from some type of allergy. Like other autoimmune diseases, allergies have to be treated as soon as possible to prevent associated degeneration damage. Therefore, an effective diagnosis is necessary to reduce treatment cost and improve the quality of life of patients. It is estimated that over 30 million diagnostic tests will be conducted next year. Up until now, allergies have been diagnosed by using mixtures of allergens, making it difficult to determine which allergen is responsible for a particular allergy and find the right treatment. Component resolved diagnosis means to use purified allergens as an alternative test. This method provides an advantage over classic ways because it reduces the spending per patient (average savings of 60 euros) but also, it increases the efficiency of diagnosis (20-40%), what implies an improvement in the treatment and the quality of life of patients.
Description of the technological base
Detectallergen is specialized in the isolation of allergens to use in Component Resolved Diagnosis for allergies. Our products are manufactured under the strict Good Manufacturing Practice rules (GMP), with the highest standards of quality. That means our products can be employed for diagnostic platforms and skin-prick tests.
The use of purified allergens from known sources allows to diagnose allergy with high efficiency.
“A good diagnosis reduces the spending on allergy treatment up to 30% per person and year”
- 40% of the European population suffers from some type of allergies, and 30% of allergic children are diagnosed with asthma.
- European health systems spend 3.6 billion € annualy in allergy-derived direct costs.. Taking in account the indirect costs, the spending would be doubled.
- Only in work absences for medical reason, losses are estimated in 100 €/ patient and day… and the prevalence of allergies keeps increasing, shooting up the figures.
- Allergies are degenerative diseases which require to be treated as soon as possible to reduce their associated degenerative symptoms. Therefore, the diagnosis is essential for patient-personalized treatments.
- Component-resolved diagnosis requires to know exactly what allergen is responsible for the symptoms of a specific patient, for a more efficient treatment. Diagnosis by component requires allergy-specific purified allergens.
- Since allergens can be found in more than one source, component-diagnosis results in the reduction of the number of samples to be tested, and in reading error in results (20-40% less) compared to classical diagnosis.
- In Spain there are few companies specialized in component diagnosis of allergy and the offer of allergens is very reduced. Detectallergen lists over 40 allergens that cover 70% of the major allergies in Europe. It offers the most comprehensive list of allergens for different diagnosis techniques of allergies.
- Lab prototype
- Industrial prototype
Aracelí Díaz Perales
Centro de Biotecnología y Genómica de Plantas (CBGP-UPM)
Área de Innovación, Comercialización y Creación de Empresas
Centro de Apoyo a la Innovación Tecnológica – UPM